Thursday 3 October 2013

The Struggle of the Believer




''I am delighted with the law of God, according to the inward man: but I see another law in my members, fighting against the law of my mind, and captivating me in the law of sin that is in my members. Unhappy man that I am, who shall deliver me from the body of this death? The grace of God, by Jesus Christ, our Lord'' (Romans, 7:22:25)


Comment: Be comforted friends in the sure grace and assistance given to us constantly by our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. What temptation envelops us, disturbs us, accuses us! It is a certain ploy of Satan to remove from our hearts the peace of Christ. We may upon our conversion reject our former paths, but we continue to feel a particular curiosity towards them. 'Oh what I would be allowed to do if I weren't Catholic!' The Faith is not a prison, but the vehicle of our salvation on the account of the sacrifice of Christ. Regard your failings as you own weakness, consider how greater you need the grace of God which He promises us! This struggle, this fight to be free of this law of our members will continue until we breath our last, but do not become discouraged. Do not be afraid!
 To be unsure about the grace given to us by God and the possibility of His forgiveness is the worst thing that a soul could do. The burden of our sins would crush us with no opportunity for improvement. Listen to the words of the Holy Apostle as he recognises his own sins and failings, but marvel at how he extols the most gracious mercy of our Saviour, who will never abandon us in our filth.

 Repent and trust joyful in the salvation offered to us in His Holy Church.

1 comment: