Tuesday 21 June 2011

Latin Doctor Quote of the Day



St Alphonsus Maria de Liguori:


''O Jesus. my Redeemer! I thank Thee for not having taken me out of life when I was Thy enemy. For how many years have I deserved to be in hell! Had I died on such a day or such a night, what should be my lot for all eternity? Lord, I thank Thee; I accept my death in satisfaction for my sins, and I accept it in the manner in which Thou shalt be pleased to send it. But since Thou hast borne with me until now, wait for me a little longer. Suffer me, therefore, that I may lament my sorrow a little!''

Comment: O how often have we deserved death through our constant sins of lukewarmness and ingratitude. Yet, the Lord is His good has preserved us through the night so that we make a new and firm resolution in the morning. If He had taken us through the night, in what torment would we be? But blessed be our God for He has upheld us and brought us to repentence in His abundant mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment