Monday 13 September 2010

Chasubles

I have been reading a very dry, yet extremely informative book by the liturgical scholar Archdale A. King, 'The Liturgy of the Roman Church', where he vents his annoyance of the 'guitar-shaped' chasubles, that so many of us traditionalists love (I not being one of them). Vestments like:



...depart radically from the ancient style which King deplores. Raymond James writes scathingly of this sort by saying, 'Let us be as Roman as possible always, but in artistic matters let us look to Rome's good artistic periods...Skimped chasubles, gold braid and lace are not Roman, they are 18th century bad taste.' Ouch.

I much prefer:




But I suppose it is all a matter of taste eh...

This is certainly to be condemned regardless:




Unless you're an Anglican...

3 comments:

  1. I think they are hideous (yes, even that one we had yesterday). Your last pic is broken, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm quite fond of the Roman Chasuable myself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. But you don't count, you Dominican, you! :-P

    Thanks for fixing the pic. It is, ummmm... very feathery.

    ReplyDelete